Meet Dr. Natazha Raine O’Connor
Ambassador of Breathing
Natazha is the author of Rescued by my Breath. Her Mom’s life-long respiratory battle to breathe strongly affected her. As a child, she was always scared her mom would die at any moment from an asthma attack or her emphysema. The silver lining is her Mom’s respiratory diseases inspired her to become an ambassador of breathing.
Natazha’s mission is helping people save themselves through their breath. Train them to reach for the “Almighty Exhale” instead of cigarettes, sugar, alcohol, drugs, or any other vice they use. She encourages everyone to stop taking their breath for granted. And, create miracles in their lives through the subtle act of connecting to their breath.
30+ Years of Experience
Natazha began teaching Lifestyle Medicine in 1993 when she started teaching yoga. Since then, she has synthesized 30 years of practicing and teaching meditation, yoga, Pilates, sports conditioning and Physical Therapy into her Lifestyle Medicine practice.
Dr. O’Connor has helped thousands of clients fulfill goals: aging well, healing and preventing injuries, excelling at sports, and enjoying life more fully. Her clients come from all walks of life ranging from children to seniors, Olympic to novice athletes, rehab patients to healthy adults aiming to maximize their vitality and avoid injuries.
Dr. O’Connor earned her doctorate in physical therapy from University of California, San Francisco and San Francisco State, and is a certified yoga and Pilates instructor. She is a pro at applied meditation who minds her breath wherever she goes, especially when exercising and feeling stressed. She began smoking at age 11 and quit smoking 2-3 packs a day at age 25 and has never gone back. At age 43 she ran her first marathon in 3 hours and 43 minutes to qualify for the Boston marathon. Her favorite exercise partner is the frigid San Francisco Bay where she enjoys rowing and swimming without a wetsuit. The sea demands she raises her consciousness to safely navigate its notoriously unpredictable, strong currents.
Ambassador of Breathing
Dr. O’Connor is the author of
Rescued by my Breath.
It depicts her real-life respiratory fairytale and illustrates how our breathing can either kill us or fulfill us and reveals Natazha’s journey from trauma to wholeness.
Her story highlights how we all have the power to rescue ourselves with our breath through lifestyle medicine.
Professional Credentials – Training
- Doctorate in Physical Therapy, University of California, San Francisco/San Francisco State University, 2011. Specialties: Lower back pain, chronic pain, arthritis, post-surgery conditioning, scoliosis, neurological disorders, Gait Training, Sports Performance
- Renowned Kaiser Permanent program in Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF): Hands-on technique that retrains breathing, postural, and movement patterns
- Certified to teach Pilates: All levels and all apparatus
- Certified to teach Yoga: Yin Therapeutic, and Acupressure. Studied extensively Iyengar, Kripalu, Bikram, Integral, Kudalini, Anusara, Vinyasa, and Ashtanga
- Certified in Fitness Training and Coaching Runners
- Formal Meditation Training: Zen, Vipassana, Berkeley Psychic Institute Running Energy, HeartMath, Biofeedback, Method Acting Techniques
- ChiRunning Six-Month Marathon Training Program; Featured on ChiRunning Video